GROWTH by SJ Ngobeni (810111)

My body might not be a ten out of ten, but my heart sure is,
See, according to your standards and peers, I don’t measure up,
But no heart contains what mine overflows with,
Simply put, I love unconditionally and all else follows,
I am not one for things of this world – not easily swayed…

All my life, I have always vowed to be true to me,
All my life, I’ve subscribed to the notion that not all that glitters is gold,
All my life, I have maintained that its what’s inside that matters most,
Problem is – I expected you and the world to share my sentiments…

I met you, you affirmed it all and we were content,
I felt your love; I was convinced you loved me for me,
Nothing else mattered; I was your perfect imperfection,
I was your world and you were mine – our hearts were beating as one…


Damn I miss those days when you missed me,
We would find ways to share our love and time together,
We never missed an opportunity to let each other know how we felt,
We did simple and silly things together – all in the name of love…

There was one problem with this perfect picture though,
It could not withstand the rays from the outside world,
We thought it was perfect, yet we neglected to protect it with our might,
We forgot that our love alone was not enough to keep us together…

Now I embark on a journey of self-discovery, very daunting,
With change, comes sacrifice – it’s necessary for growth,
But I am grateful for the time spent together; it made me wiser,
I am grateful that you once loved me unconditionally, now I know what love is,
I am grateful that our paths crossed – I am different and better person…


Author: SJ Ngobeni (810111) – 18 Dec 2015

Comments

Popular Posts